A father and daughter washing dishes together.

Fixing Bad Child Visitation Agreements with the Help of a Lawyer

A parenting plan, also known as a child visitation schedule, serves as a calendar for parents with joint custody about how they’ll share responsibility for their children. The plan outlines exactly how the parents will divide physical custody of their children.

In general, the best way to set up a comprehensive visitation schedule is by hiring a child visitation lawyer. The lawyer works with the parents to design a schedule that appeases both parties and resolves any disagreements regarding visitation. Expert lawyers can also help fix visitation agreements that are ambiguous or no longer work for the parents.

Child Visitation Schedule Problems

Some parents prefer to negotiate a child visitation schedule themselves, with the help of a mediator, or ask the court for assistance. When parents create the schedule themselves (either in the presence of a third party or not), they are more involved and can often work out things amicably in this way.

Even with input from both sides, a child visitation agreement that once seemed feasible may not suit the needs of the children or parents in the future. In addition to this, the plan may need more clarity, such as who should take a sick child home from school. When this happens, consulting an experienced child custody lawyer can help.

Making Changes to the Child Visitation Schedule

Child visitation schedules are considered legally binding, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make any changes to them. As children get older, their needs change, and so parents need to be more flexible in order to accommodate their interests and pursuits. As long as both parents agree, these changes are relatively easy to make.

However, things can get a bit more complicated when parents want to make changes to the visitation schedule but are unable to work out a plan that works for both of them. At this point, consulting with a legal expert can help move along negotiations.

Get an Experienced Family Lawyer on Board

Reach out to our expert child custody lawyers to discuss any issues that you may be facing with a joint parenting plan. Whether you need a mediator to move things along smoothly or present your case in court, we can give you sound legal advice along the way.

Call 877-619-9112 to schedule an appointment at our Baltimore or Silver Springs office.

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.