A damaged car after an accident on the road.

Filing a Car Accident Claim in Washington, D.C.: What You Should Know

When you take your car out on the road, you should do so knowing that anything can happen. You should be careful, licensed, and above all else, insured. If you do get into an accident, make sure you know what comes next in filing a claim.

Here’s what you need to know about the process and how filing a claim in D.C. works.

The Information You Need To File a Claim

First off, you need certain kinds of information to file a claim. This includes your personal information, your car’s registration details, and the incident report. In case you’re too injured to collect this information yourself, your lawyer or a relative can do it for you.

If you’re able to, make sure you get the insurance company, the name, and the license plate number of the other driver. Take pictures of the scene and make sure the police are called. However, if you’re too injured to stick around, call your next of kin and/or car accident lawyer to let them know what has happened.

When You Should File a Claim

File a claim as soon as possible! Even though there’s a lot of chaos that happens after an accident, make sure you get the documentation in order and start the process so that you can get compensated ASAP.

The longer you wait, the more financial uncertainty you may have to deal with as the claim takes time to process. A personal injury lawyer like ours can take over the process instead, so you can rest and recuperate without having to worry about it.

Understanding the Technicalities of Fault-Based Claims in D.C.

Washington, D.C. is a no-fault state, which is why you’re required to have Personal Injury Policies or PIP coverage. This type of coverage insures you against accidents caused by someone else, especially if they’re uninsured. So, if the damages are minor, you don’t need to file a claim with the other at-fault party’s insurance.

However, PIP doesn’t cover pain and suffering and has limited coverage, which is why if the damage was severe, you could bring a claim. If you suffer the loss of income, permanent disability, or impairment of any kind, or serious damages, make a claim with the help of an attorney.

What The Process Looks Like

If your attorney is doing this for you, first, a letter of representation may be sent to the insurance company to designate that your lawyer has the power of attorney. This is important if you’re making a claim with the other party’s insurance agency because it’s best to let your lawyer deal with any communication from their end.

Then, your attorney will communicate with the insurance agency as needed, and once you’ve recovered, the complete claim will be submitted as an itemized demand. This can include pain and suffering as well as the loss of income, depending on your case. Once the insurance company reviews the claim and responds, negotiations may have to be held.

If your claim is accepted and resolved, you just have to wait for the money to come in. If not, you may pursue the case in court against the party at fault. However, each case is different, and the action you take should be based on your attorney’s assessment of the finer details.

Our car accident lawyer in Baltimore and Silver Spring, MD, and Washington D.C. is here to help. Call us at 877-619-9112 or contact us here for a free consultation on your accident claim.

That’s not all we do! At The Lincoln Law Group, we offer our legal services as criminal lawyers, family lawyers, tax lawyers, immigration attorneys, and child custody lawyers in Baltimore, Silver Springs, Towson, and D.C.

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.